Ask the Builder: “Which Subcontractors Need To Be Licensed?”

Written by Andy Stauffer

July 28

andy stauffer home builder

If you are the homeowner or a realtor and you’re undergoing a home building or remodeling project, it is your responsibility to make sure that the subcontractors working on your project are legitimately insured, certified, registered and licensed as applicable for their trade. That’s the key—some trades have minimal requirements for doing their work, while others are highly regulated. Here’s a quick guide. Trades that are required to be licensed in Colorado include:

  • General Contractors
  • Plumbers
  • Electricians
  • Anyone working on Gas/Propane Lines
  • HVAC (Heating/Venting/Air Conditioning)

Most other trades are not required to maintain any licensing. If you have any questions about needing a licensed subcontractor for a particular aspect of a job, call the local building department to verify. In Colorado Springs, our building department is the PPRBD (Pikes Peak Regional Building Department). You can reach them at (719) 327-2880 or visit their website at

1 Comment

  1. John W

    Great job–this is a great story. Thanks for the help!

Related Articles